Applying for CPE
1) Baccalaureate degree (B.A. or B.S.) minimum; higher degree (e.g., M.Div., M.T.S.) strongly preferred. Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
2) Two (2) years active membership in good standing with a faith community; formal theological training recommended; ordination and/or commission preferred, where applicable.
1) Completed ACPE application with essay responses at https://acpe.edu/education/cpe-students/cpe-application
2) Processing fee (US $30 – check or money order made payable to UC Regents; unfortunately, we cannot accept electronic payments so please send your fee via postal mail)
3) Once we receive your application and have reviewed your materials, we will notify you if we are moving forward with a Zoom interview, or not. Interviews are with two Faculty members. For our Residency, there is a second half hour interview with two Department Staff members as well.
4) Completed reference forms. Regardless of the program for which you apply, these will be solicited by the Department from the persons you list as references on your application.
Due Dates: Our CPE programs operate on a rolling admissions basis. We switch to interviewing for Alternates for our programs when group space is filled.
Note: For Certified Educator CPE training, applicants must have completed at least four (4) ACPE-accredited CPE units that document fulfillment of Level 2 CPE outcomes; hold a M.Div. degree or its equivalent; be ordained or commissioned to function as a clergyperson or spiritual leader by an appropriate authority in one’s faith group; and be endorsed or recognized in an official relationship of accountability with one’s faith group. Persons interested in Clinical Educator CPE must use the appropriate ACPE application form, available at www.acpe.edu > Resources > Forms, and submit that form directly to our center (with $30 application fee payable to UC Regents) and the ACPE national office. Please contact us directly to inquire if our program has a Clinical Educator CPE position open.
You may submit your application via e-mail or regular mail to the addresses below:
Attention: CPE Program
Department of Spiritual Care Services (CPE)
UCSF Box 0356
350 Parnassus Avenue, Suite 607
San Francisco, CA 94143
Application review for all 2021 CPE programs will begin in mid-November 2021.
Year-long 2019 – 2020 Residency begins on September 3, 2019, and ends on September 11, 2020
Unit 1 (Fall): September 3, 2019 – November 15, 2019
Unit 2 (Winter): December 2, 2019 – February 21, 2020
Unit 3 (Spring): March 9, 2020 – May 15, 2020
Unit 4 (Summer): June 1, 2020 – August 7, 2020
Our program will not be holding a Summer Single Unit in 2020. We hope to resume our Summer Single Unit in 2021.
Year-long 2020 – 2021 Residency begins on August 31, 2020, and ends on September 10, 2021