Applying for CPE
1) Baccalaureate degree (B.A. or B.S.) minimum; higher degree (e.g., M.Div., M.T.S.) strongly preferred. Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
2) Two (2) years active membership in good standing with a faith community; formal theological training recommended; ordination and/or commission preferred, where applicable.
1) Completed ACPE application with essay responses (available at www.acpe.edu > Resources > Forms). You may use the same form to apply for Extended, Summer, or Year-long CPE programs. Please note that all academic credentials must be documented with copies of diplomas or academic transcripts (unofficial transcripts from the school’s registrar are acceptable).
2) Processing fee (US $30 – check or money order made payable to UC Regents; unfortunately, we cannot accept electronic payments so please send your fee via postal mail)
3) On-site personal interviews with CPE faculty and with Department staff. Once we receive your application and have reviewed your materials, we will notify you if we can offer you an interview opportunity. Year-long residency interviews are a two-step process: an initial interview with CPE faculty, almost always in person; and a follow-up interview with Spiritual Care Services staff, usually by phone or via Zoom (or another teleconferencing platform). Interviews for summer and other single-unit programs (such as Extended units, if offered) are a single-step process involving an interview with CPE faculty.
4) Completed reference forms. Regardless of the program for which you apply, these will be solicited by the Department from the persons you list as references on your application.
Due Dates: The CPE program operates on a rolling admissions basis, which means that there is not a specific due date for submitting applications. Applications are considered as they arrive and once the application fee has been received, until the unit or year-long program is full. We interview prospective students and make decisions throughout the year until we have filled our class. Since our summer unit begins in June and our year-long program begins in September, it is usually wiser to apply in the preceding autumn or winter than waiting until the spring.
Note: For Certified Educator CPE training, applicants must have completed at least four (4) ACPE-accredited CPE units that document fulfillment of Level 2 CPE outcomes; hold a M.Div. degree or its equivalent; be ordained or commissioned to function as a clergyperson or spiritual leader by an appropriate authority in one’s faith group; and be endorsed or recognized in an official relationship of accountability with one’s faith group. Persons interested in Clinical Educator CPE must use the appropriate ACPE application form, available at www.acpe.edu > Resources > Forms, and submit that form directly to our center (with $30 application fee payable to UC Regents) and the ACPE national office. Please contact us directly to inquire if our program has a Clinical Educator CPE position open.
You may submit your application via e-mail or regular mail to the address below:
The Rev. Susan P. Conrad or The Rev. Beth E. Godfrey
Application review for all 2020 CPE programs begin – October 2019
Year-long 2019 – 2020 Residency begins on September 3, 2019, and ends on September 11, 2020
Unit 1 (Fall): September 3, 2019 – November 15, 2019
Unit 2 (Winter): December 2, 2019 – February 21, 2020
Unit 3 (Spring): March 9, 2020 – May 15, 2020
Unit 4 (Summer): June 1, 2020 – August 7, 2020
Our program will not be holding a Summer Single Unit in 2020. We hope to resume our Summer Single Unit in 2021.
Year-long 2020 – 2021 Residency begins on August 31, 2020, and ends on September 10, 2021